*Original image here
“The Saturdaily” is a weekly roundup of good writing, reading, and listening. Check out this week’s list.
1. You — A few weeks ago, I wrote a piece about the creeping cynicism that’s so pervasive, and how it shades my view of the church. As a follow-up, I wrote this, asking you to celebrate your local churches with me. I finally got around to reading the comments this week, and they are beautiful. Read what other’s have to say about their local congregations. I promise, it will lift you.
2. Ann Voskamp — Speaking of cynicism, Ann Voskamp wrote this beautiful (as if I needed to say that) piece about seeing past this world’s fissures and faults, about seeing the beauty. She writes:
The thing is: The cynics, they can only speak of the dark, of the obvious, and this is not hard. For all it’s supposed sophistication, it’s cynicism that’s simplistic. In a fallen world, how profound is it to see the cracks?
Read the rest of Ann’s piece here.
3. Help One Now — It has been said that the cure for cynicism is to simply engage honestly. Honest engagement is the type of ideal embraced by Help One Now. (Its founder Chris Marlow loves him some “ideals.”) I haven’t read a word, yet, but this week’s blog post from the Help One Now Haiti team are bound to be incredible. Mike Rusch, Sarah Bessey, Mary Demuth, Marlow, Dan King–these people are some of my favorite folks, both on the internet and in real life. You won’t want to miss their musings so make sure to keep up by following the banner below. And, if you’re so inclined, put the banner on your own site. I did.
4. Anonymous — An anonymous writer penned this beautiful piece about the churches of her past. It’s honest, stark, and beautiful. Would you read it and reflect on the beauty of your past churches?
5. Amber Haines — There’s not much to read here. Just wanted to share this Instagram picture.
I’ll leave you today with this tune by Austin artist David Ramirez. “Yes, I could start fires with what I feel for you…” It’s nice.
Now it’s your turn. What were your favorite links of the week?